Sunday 10 January 2016

Three weeks in the sun!

I've been a bite quite on here on here for the last couple of weeks (but not on social media... soz...) as I've been on holiday to see my parents in Muscat, Oman. I was so excited to see them as both me and my brother hadn't seen them for a good 5-6 months.

I had the absolute best time exploring the country and spending time with my family. The temperature didn't drop below 27 degrees for the whole time there (well, except when we were in Dubai... stupid rain). I wanted to show you some of my photos and show you some of the places I visited on my three week travels!

We managed to cram ALOT into the time we were there and I've definitely come back feeling a bit tired and jet lagged (along with an epic cold, thanks UK weather...). Our first stop was Ras Al Jinz, its about a 3-4 hour drive from Muscat and it a hot turtle watching spot. Now I love turtles and have always wanted to see them in real life so I was bursting with excitement for this one. December is out of season for turtles laying eggs, so I knew there was a real possibility we might not even see anything, and that sucked. But, the turtle gods were out as we managed to see one turtle laying her eggs on the beautiful beach beside the turtle reserve we were staying in.


It was incredible and there is no words to describe how blown away I was. I learnt so much and the guide was absolutely fantastic. The turtle actually lays her eggs in one location, covers them up and then digs another hole (which she is doing above) to confuse the foxes where the eggs are buried so the baby turtles have a higher chance of survival. So amazing. Below are the tracks of a turtle the morning after.



We were also booked in for the 5am (!!!!) watch to see some baby turtles going back into the sea after hatching, but unfortunately none were seen that day but we did get to see the beautiful sun rise. Now that was pretty special...


I'm a bit of a geography geek... I've always really enjoyed it and nearly went to study it at university but I didn't do as well as I wanted to at A Level... We went to visit a Wadi (dry river bed) in Ash Shab, there are loads of these in Oman due to the mountain formations and rock type. Having learnt about these, I was a massive geek and was so excited to see one. It was beautiful, took my breath away. Just look at this photos... how can you not get excited about that? You got on the boat and travelled over to the other side and walked down the river bed and you ended up at this hot spring pool at the end, so amazing.



We had a very very different Christmas this year! We spent it on a beach hut, had a BBQ and drunk lots of beer. A perfect minimalist Christmas makes you realise that's all you need!



You can't go to Oman without visiting the desert right? We went to a desert camp in Ibra. It was very minimalist, you peed under the stars... the bathroom had no roof haha. We stayed in little tents which were really comfy actually and was the best night sleep I had in ages!




We also went sand duning on the sand and it was AMAZING. We were driven down the biggest dunes ever, it was like a natural roller coaster haha.



 Our next big adventure was Dubai! Unfortunately, it decided to rain on the day we were there... the only day in 6 months or something ridiculous. Typical. We had booked up to go up the Burj Kalifa and it was so cloudy, pretty disappointing. But... when we got up there it was amazing and we managed to see out!

We visited the Mall of Dubai (it was so big it had a bloody aquarium in it...!) and had a general walk around the city. Amazing, would happily live there.


All other days were spend chilling in the sun, by the pool and spending time with family. It was a great three weeks away seeing family and chilling out. Although I do have a pathetic tan and a cold coming back to the UK... Hope you enjoyed having a little read of what I got up too!

B x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger template designed By The Sunday Studio.