Wednesday 27 January 2016

Book Review: Gone Girl

People had been telling me for a while to start reading Gone Girl. It was fairly recently turned into a film but I hate seeing a film before I have read the book. So my next book to read was evidently Gone Girl. 
One of my friends from work decided she wanted to read it too so we made a little book club within work (even though we got lots of banter for being ‘geeks’…). It was actually quite hard to read a book at the same time as someone else, so we ended up setting a set amount of chapters a week. 
The book is about a women, Amy, that goes missing and it focuses around her and her husband, Nick. Without giving too much away Nick is the prime suspect for her murder as everything leads back to him, but not is all as it seems…
To begin with, the book was quite hard to get into. It really did drag and I ended up hating the Amy character at the beginning. She was quite full of herself and came across as very pompous (I know its only a book…). The book is written in a diary format and this alternates between the two characters, Amy and Nick. I don’t usually enjoy this form of writing but this was done very effectively in this book. It gave you a real insight into the characters and their relationship with each other.
All of a sudden the book suddenly takes off and becomes a real page turner.. I literally could not put it down. As soon as you thought you knew what was happening, another curve ball was thrown in. It took me a while to read the first half, but after it started getting better I was devouring the chapters, I haven’t done that with a book in a very long time. 
The ending was a bit disappointing, but I don’t think it was a poor ending. I think it was because there was so much action throughout the book the ending didn’t do it justice. I felt like it didn’t really answer all the questions I wanted to know as a reader – it was a bit anti climatic…
All in all, it was a really enjoyable book and I would give it a strong 3/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger template designed By The Sunday Studio.