Saturday 11 November 2017

The S word

Smear Tests. These are talked about enough openly between women and when they are other women seem to want to scare each other about how painful they are or how horrific it was. Now I just want to spread the news...

SMEAR TESTS ARE FINE.

I was so scared about going to get a smear test done. But if I'm honest it was more the fact someone I didn't know would be... you know... down there... Combine this with hearing horror stories online and other not too pleasant accounts from women who were kind enough to let me know it really put me off going. I'll be honest, I was one of those who put it off for way too long.

It didn't help that I was the oldest one in my friendship group so got the 'dreaded' letter first. The oooh's and ahhhhh's that went around the circle followed by stories of "Oh my cousin had hers the other year and apparently it was agony." did not bloody help in me wanting to book in for an appointment.

Embarrassingly, I turned 25 in October 2016 but I got my letter in February 2016. Now you can book your appointment in as soon as you get your letter, it doesn't matter if you're not 25 yet. I only had my smear test done at the beginning of March 2017... (I know, I know...). So this account is written a bit late...

As it was my first time, the nurse was incredibly lovely and explained everything she was going to do before she started. Then as she was actually performing the procedure carried on explaining everything. There was NOTHING to worry about. Yeah sure its a bit uncomfortable but nothing more than that. I'm sure its different for different women but please please please don't let any horror stories online put you off.

Results take a few weeks to come back and most women find there are no abnormalities in their cervix and if there are, it doesn't always mean cancer. That's important to remember. Its really key to carry on having regular cervical screenings throughout your life. Yes, they may be awkward but regular screening saves lives.

Don't do what I did and google smear tests, you'll just get all these horror stories I was telling you about. Instead check out Jo's Trust, they are a charity dedicated to women affected by cervical cancer of cervical abnormalities. They provide SO much helpful information about what you can expect from your first visit. They are also really active on Twitter so any answers to your questions are only a quick tweet away!

Remember, it may be awkward but it could save your life.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger template designed By The Sunday Studio.