Tuesday 10 May 2016

Reasons To Stay Alive - Matt Haig

I have to say that I think this is the most beautiful I have ever read and I'm going to be honest, I wouldn't have even picked it up if it wasn't in the book offer.... (I know bad of me...).

I have friends who have suffered from depression and anxiety and I think to a certain extent we all do. There have been times where I freak out over silly little details or things that happen I shouldn't or get really down about things and thats ok. This book opened my eyes to how bad it can get for some people and thats its ok to talk about it, its probably the best thing you can do.

1 in 4 people in the UK will experience some form of mental health over the next year (Mind, UK) with the most common being a mix of both anxiety and depression. That is ALOT of people who potentially aren't talking about it, don't know they have it or suffering alone. If you are one of those people, please read this book and realise you're not alone.

Matt Haig is a British journalist and novelist. He suffered a breakdown in his early twenties and turned to writing to help save himself. His book, Reasons To Stay Alive is about how he came through crisis, triumphed over an illness and learned how to live again.

Its everything you could want a book to be; eyeopening, charming, moving, joyous, funny... I could go on. I feel like Haig doesn't cover up any of his past, it is all out in the beaming light for everyone to read, and potentially judge. But my absolute favourite thing about it? Its honest. From the very beginning it is clear that his mental health has stopped him from doing things but he is clear on this and shows how you can live your life how you want to live it. It covers some really dark issues and times in his life but you also share the most joyous moments in his life, almost his light at the end of a tunnel.

I have banged on about this book so much and I have a waiting list of people wanting to borrow it. And to think I only picked this up because of the awesome reviews on the front cover... Its changed the way I think about mental health and has made me understand how to help my loved ones who are going through it. If you are going through this, please talk to someone or if you think you know someone going through it give them a hug and tell them to read this book. Its a life changer.

"But, in the end one needs more courage to live than to kill himself"
- Albert Camus, A Happy Death  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger template designed By The Sunday Studio.