Wednesday 16 March 2016

Jack Garratt - Phase

I have been putting off this post for a while now because I was determined to listen as much as I could to the album to at least get a ranking of what I thought of the songs. I was having a really hard time choosing my favourites. So I've managed to choose the three songs that, for me, blow the others out of the water.

I'm going to be honest... I really couldn't understand the hype for Jack Garratt when he first came on the scene. I mean I totally understood how talented he was playing every instrument that he could get his hands on but other than that I just didn't get it.

Fast forward to a couple of months down the line when I hear him on BBC Radio One. I ended up thinking to myself ooo I actually really like this song... I wonder who this is... then when good old Greg James went "and that was Jack Garratt's new single from his debut album Phase" I thought I better give this guy a chance...

So when his album came out on February 19th I took a plunge and bought it, the deluxe one so this was quite and investment... Jeeze there was nothing to worry about. I think I can safely say its one of the best album's I have bought to date. In my opinion, I don't think there is a skip song on it and lets be honest, most albums have one.

Lets go through my top three...

Track 5 - Worry
I think this is the song he first released from his album. I mean even Mr James Bay is telling his followers to buy it, big support there.
Its got a mellow tone about it but when it gets to the chorus all those beautiful Jack Garratt sounds come out to play. His gorgeous rough voice, guitar, electrics, bass... it's all there in the chorus of this song.
Easily one of my most played songs at the moment.

Track 7 - I Know All What I Do
This is just a beautiful track. Its one of the songs that you turn on when you get back from work and just relax too, forget all your worries and turn off to the world. I feel like I should say more, but I think it'd be best for you just to find this on iTunes and give your ears some love.

Track 12 - My House Is Your Home
Another favourite of mine for its unashamedly raw vocals and minimalist track backing. It gives me goosebumps every time I listen to it. I would go ahead and say this is my favourite track on the album. The piano and the background sounds you can hear just add to the feeling of exclusivity to the song. It feels like he is in the room singing it to a small crowd. Just beautiful. I'm actually listening to it as I type this on the coach and I want to scream to everyone how the vocals make me melt. Weird, I know... Its finished now... moving on...

I feel like another track needs a mention but I didn't want to include it in my top 3 as its only on the deluxe version of the album (so all the more reason to buy that one), Lonesome Valley. I love the way it builds into this vocal awesomeness with some many layers of instruments and sounds. It makes me excited for the bass drops... and that is something I never thought I would say.

The whole album is 100% worth buying it and I can guarantee that if you're as much into your music as I am you'll get way too excited about it all. If you end up loving him as much as I do he has just announced his tour so make sure you get your tickets to that! Its going to be awesome. I have mine for Plymouth!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger template designed By The Sunday Studio.