Sunday 6 November 2016

Magical Theatre

Phenomenal. I could end the post here and it'd be very simple. I'd also like to tell you everything about what happened but I can't. A bit of a catch 22. What am I talking about? Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.


Lets start from the beginning. I have been a fan of Harry Potter since the books came out all those years ago. As a child I would spend hours with my head buried in the magical world of Hogwarts and I grew up resenting the fact I never got my letter... Still at 25 I'm convinced it got lost in the post. Like many millions of potter heads I felt a really weird sense of loss when I finished the books and then again when the films were all done. Then JK announced there would be a theatre show based on what happened after the Battle of Hogwarts I'm pretty sure I let out a scream of delight when I read the news. I work in theatre so the thought of having my favourite world portrayed through theatre made me so happy, its a real passion of mine.

Tickets were so hard to get hold of, once we had decided who was going to go we got all of our devices together so make sure we could get them! The queuing was horrendous, I think I was in a queue behind 15,000 + people, the demand was crazy. Luckily we managed to get tickets for 31st October 2016 to see Part 1 and 2 on the same day exactly a year and one day after we got the tickets.

I wanted the story to be a surprise and appreciate the magical moments that happen when seeing it in the theatre. So even though it killed me, I didn't buy the script and didn't talk to anyone about it who'd read it either. Knowing that other people knew and I didn't was so so hard but I definitely made the right decision.

So i'm not going to tell you what happens obviously, you need to experience that for yourself. The whole fan base has been so good at not leaking the secrets so everyone can have that magical visit to the theatre. We were sat in the stalls in the middle and even though some of the stage was cut of we have a really good view. What was to come was just mind blowing. The staging was impeccable and the way the magic happens in front of your eyes is phenomenal.

Jamie Harrison (Illusions and Magic) deserves a medal. The way the magic unfolds in front of you is pretty impressive and kudos to the cast members for making it look effortless. When you see people changing into other people without the use of CGI it is amazing.

I have seen A LOT of theatre but this is by far the best piece of theatre I have seen or that'll I will see in a very long time. I truly believe that this production is way ahead of its time and we won't see anything like it anytime soon. Make sure you try and get some tickets, I promise you won't be dissapointed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger template designed By The Sunday Studio.